Get ready for a great experience at the Philadelphia Student Government Training Conference.
1. Raise money for conference
2. Register for conference
- See conference registration tips to help you save money
- See sample “excuse letter” that your attendees can give to professors so they can miss class to attend this conference (optional)
- See sample delegate contract that each of your attendees should sign (optional)
- See conference attendance form that each of your attendees should sign and have signed by an ASGA representative (optional)
- See sample press release that you can send to your campus and local newspapers, radio, and TV, as well as your institution’s public affairs office (optional)
3. Reserve hotel room(s)
4. Purchase airline ticket(s)
ASGA recommends that you fly if it would take you more than eight hours to drive.
Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is about 25 miles from the conference hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE – Bensalem.
Atlantic City International Airport (ACY) and Lehigh Valley International Airport (ABE) are additional options for air travel. ACY is about 66 miles from the Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE – Bensalem, while ABE is about 70 miles from the hotel.
5. Arrange for ground transportation
Remember that you will need transportation to and from your hotel, restaurants, and attractions. If you stay at the official conference hotel, the Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE – Bensalem, you will need transportation to the conference location, Holy Family University.
All taxi rates are based per trip not per person. Most taxis can accommodate up to 3 passengers. In some cases certain vehicle types can accommodate 4 passengers.
There is a $10.00 minimum fare from the Airport to any destination.
Other fares based on the meter which based upon entry (flag drop) is $2.30 and $2.10 per mile or portion thereof. In addition you will be charged an additional $1.50 Airport fee. It is 25 miles from Philadelphia International Airport to the Holiday Inn Express Philadelphia NE – Bensalem.
From Philadelphia, you can take the train from Suburban Station and arrive at Torresdale, which is a stop on the Holy Family University campus. It is the “Trenton Line.” The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) phone app is very helpful: put in the stops and it will automatically tell you the up-to-date schedule. Holy Family can arrange a pick them up at the station and walk with them to the conference.
For regional train schedules and other local public transit, visit Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) or call 215-580-7800.
NJ TRANSIT: 973-491-7000
6. Review and print directions
You can find directions to the conference site at our Directions page.
7. Wear “business casual”
Your attire should be “business casual” at all conference functions.
8. Bring business cards & college paraphernalia
Make sure you bring business cards, brochures, and fliers to exchange with other delegates.
9. Check the local weather
In March, it will be cool in Philadelphia and may be cool in meeting rooms, which are air-conditioned.
10. Review and print the Conference Schedule
Then you can decide on which workshops to attend and be aware of when the conference starts and ends.
11. Read these conference articles
Responsible Student Government leaders and advisors make sure they get as much as possible from the conferences they attend.
- Make the Most of Conventions
How to save money and use your time wisely
Before jetting off to your next conference, scan this checklist of time and money savers.
- Members Behaving Badly
Mind your manners at conferences
Here are some tips on how to make a lasting, positive impression about the quality of your school’s student leaders while at conferences.
- Getting the Most Out of Conferences
Student Government leaders at the University of North Dakota use their “Homework Sheet” as a networking tool
Do you want to get more out of attending your next leadership conference than just jet lag? Follow the example set by Student Government officers from the University of North Dakota.
- Action Plan for When We Return to Campus
SG Advisor at Illinois State develops tool to take the conference momentum back to your campus
This worksheet will help you develop a plan on how to take back what you learned at this ASGA conference.
- 10 Ways to Be a Good Conference Roommate
Even if you’ve known someone for years, staying together in a hotel can be an awkward – or awesome – experience.
Here are 10 suggestions for making your next conference slumber party the awesome kind.